- San Jose, CA, USA
- 20.93-23.79 per hour
- Part Time
CAIR San Francisco Bay Area is hiring Community Canvassers to enable it to further grow its grassroots engagement and community presence. Do you enjoy interacting with community members and organizing for social change? This job is perfect for you!
Schedule Type: Part-time (Non-exempt). 10-15 hours each week. Frequent evenings and weekends required.
Location: Based in CAIR's Santa Clara office but working in-person across the San Francisco Bay Area is required.
Requirements: Ability to travel throughout the Bay Area (vehicle and driver's license required); authorization to work in the United States; COVID-19 vaccine and booster
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Executive Director.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage CAIR outreach booths at local community centers, masajid, and other high traffic areas and events
- Staff phone banking, door knocking, flyering, postering, and other outreach and community and volunteer engagement efforts
- Support and participate in the organization's community-building programming such as citizenship clinics, youth programs, and various community trainings and workshops
- Represent the organization at partner and coalition events including rallies, town halls, press conferences, and mosque programs
Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills. All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, and other office tasks.
- Availability to work on Friday afternoons, from 10:00am-3:00pm and occasional evenings and weekends
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including compassionate communication and cultural sensitivity, and ability to maintain a positive, personable, outgoing, and enthusiastic attitude
- Demonstrated commitment to civic engagement and community empowerment
- Ability to problem-solve, take initiative, stay organized, manage multiple tasks, and work independently as well as within a team
- Flexibility to adjust and contribute to continually evolving work situations and changing priorities
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR's mission
- Experience working in Arab, Muslim, Middle Eastern, and/or South Asian communities
- Community organizing and leadership experience, including experience working for at a masjid, in an MSA, or other non-profit setting
- Experience with Canva, WhatsApp, and various social media platforms
- Conversational proficiency in Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Somali or Urdu
- $20.93 -$23.79 commensurate with skills and experience
- 3% employer-matched retirement plan
Please submit(1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, and (3) the names and contact information of three references.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CAIR-CA is an equal-opportunity employer.