We are expanding our legal services, and recruiting full-time staff attorneys to join our growing team in Sacramento Valley and Central California.
CAIR Sacramento Valley / Central California has an immediate opening for a full-time Civil Rights Attorney. This position offers a unique opportunity to provide leadership in and work on civil rights challenges impacting American Muslims in a grassroots, community-centered environment. The Civil Rights Attorney will be expected to identify, strategize and use creative legal solutions to address systematic issues facing the American Muslim community.
Practice Areas: Civil Rights/Civil Liberties (Religious Freedom), Employment, National Security & Law Enforcement Practices
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct intakes and investigate legal claims through effective communication with an incredibly diverse community
- Manage a considerable caseload (our attorneys currently manage approximately 100+ intakes each per year)
- Perform in-depth legal research
- Legal writing including, but not limited to, drafting complaints, letters, and memos; and non-legal writing including drafting community advisories, issuing briefings, and reports
- Communicate with outside parties such as attorneys, employers, law enforcement agents, administrative agencies, media contacts, etc.
- Work to educate and empower community members on their rights through community presentations and material distributions
- Travel for outreach including participating in community events and coalition meetings
- Identify, develop, and lead litigation efforts, including, preparing pleadings, motions, and briefs
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising and other office tasks.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- California State Bar admission
- At minimum two years of experience advocating for, representing and/or litigating on behalf of clients in areas such as employment law, religious discrimination, public accommodation, denial of benefits by governmental and private actors in courts and administrative agencies
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the Sacramento Valley and Central California
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR's mission
- Basic computer proficiency including knowledge of MS Office, MS Outlook, and WestLaw Next
- Knowledge of cloud applications such as SharePoint, Office365, and social media applications (preferred)
- Conversational proficiency in Arabic, Farsi or Urdu (preferred)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & LOCATION
The Civil Rights Attorney will be based in CAIR's Sacramento office and report to the Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director.
Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Bar membership, CLE funding support and malpractice insurance
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your legal writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references, to: email@example.com with the subject line "Civil Rights Attorney."
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.