- Sacramento, CA, USA
- Full Time
100% employer paid medical and dental insurance for employee & dependents, 3% employer matched retirement plan, 12 vacation days, 10 sick days and 10 holidays, hybrid work schedule utilized through early July 2022.
Work Location: Sacramento, CA
Term: Full-time, occasional evening and weekends required
Position Status: Exempt
Salary: $70,000 - $85,000 per year commensurate with skills and experience
Reports to: CAIR-SV/CC Deputy Executive Director
Generous Benefits: 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance for employees & dependents, 3% employer matched retirement plan, 12 vacation days, 10 sick days and 10 holidays, hybrid work schedule utilized through end of 2022.
Requirements: Must have the authorization to work in the United States and proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
About Us: Join the largest American Muslim civil rights organization at the frontlines in protecting the rights of free speech, to freely practice one's faith, to pursue employment opportunities without harassment, and to live as an active and engaged American without reprisal. The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3), grassroots civil rights and advocacy group. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., and offices across the nation. We recognize that our employees are passionate, and talented and are our most valuable resource. With such an important vision to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding, our diverse workforce stands together to demonstrate our values for everyone who chooses to join the efforts.
About the Role: The California chapter of CAIR (CAIR-CA) is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the Legislative & Government Affairs Manager position. This position will work closely with the CAIR-CA Executive Directors, policy and advocacy staff, and communications staff across the state.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build relationships and meet with elected officials including members of Congress to advocate for civil and human rights legislation.
- Identify and develop key relationships to leverage collaborative opportunities with a range of stakeholders and diverse communities.
- Set up forums and town hall meetings to connect the American Muslim community to their elected officials and relevant political issues.
- Promote civic engagement (voter registration, voter education, voter turn-out, town-hall discussions, volunteerism, etc.) within the Muslim community.
- Organize statewide government relations programs such as Muslim Day at the Capitol, Muslim Youth Leadership Program, and Capitol Ramadan Reception.
- Collaborate and participate in specific federal work such as USCMO's Annual National Muslim Advocacy Day.
- Prepare scorecards and voter guides on local and statewide issues.
- Analyze and develop policies and campaigns (participate in coalitions, draft letters, mobilize the Muslim community, and facilitate awareness) around issues relevant to CAIR's government affairs policy agenda.
- Strategizing development and implementation of legislative processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- All CAIR-CA staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- Bachelor's degree in political science, public relations, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum three years of experience managing teams, staff, and/or volunteers
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- Experience in public policy and government affairs.
- Extensive experience developing policy, advocating before elected representatives, state or federal departments and agencies, and building and working with coalitions.
- Strong understanding of the legislative process.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to present complex information in focused public policy and advocacy materials.
- Experience with public speaking.
- A record of accomplishment of successful advocacy to policymakers.
- Knowledge of state or federal legislative processes, with an ability to apply that knowledge to coherent strategy development and implementation.
- Proven ability to develop key relationships and identify and leverage collaborative opportunities with a range of stakeholders and diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and objectives, lead projects, and work effectively with others internally to produce positive results.
- A high degree of self-motivation and creativity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and related software.
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR's mission.
- Experience in a nonprofit advocacy organization, trade association, state legislature or Congress, state, or federal agency, working in a corporate government affairs office or trade association.
- Experience working with a political action committee and/or a grassroots program.
- Experience working with the American Muslim community.
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and updated resume
Equal Employment Opportunity: CAIR-CA is passionately committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to compliance with all Federal, State, and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination based on age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and other protected classifications.