- 22-Jun-2021 to Until Filled (MST)
- Westminster, CO, USA
- Internship - Paid
GOCO Program Teen Intern
GOCO Program Teen Interns provide fun learning opportunities for children as part of afterschool programming, in collaboration with Outreach Educators. Great Outdoors Colorado invests a portion of Colorado Lottery proceeds to help preserve and enhance the state's parks, trails, wildlife, rivers and open spaces. The GOCO Program Teen Intern will connect with kids and their families to explore and take care of our great outdoors by addressing the growing disconnect between youth and nature.
Organization Description: Butterfly Pavilion is the first stand-alone, Association of Zoos and Aquariums-accredited non-profit invertebrate zoo in the world and a leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration, and connection. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Mission: To foster an appreciation of invertebrates by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation.
Key Duties & Activities:
- Co-facilitate interactive and educational experiences for afterschool program participants
- Ensure the safety, engagement, and enjoyment of children
- Use live animals to demonstrate science-based concepts
- Facilitate play-based learning and provide educational information
- Contribute to lesson and activity planning
- Support classroom management
- Follow and model procedures for animal care and safety in accordance with AZA
Qualifications & Skills:
- Background or interest in science and/or environmental education
- Interest and willingness to learn about and handle invertebrates
- Ability to share information in a friendly, positive and engaging way
- Comfortable interacting with children enjoyment, enthusiasm, and sense of fun
Minimum Age Requirement: 16 years of age
MUST BE CURRENT HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT
Physical Demands: Requires ability to sit, stand, or walk for extended periods, bend, and lift up to 25lbs.
Supervisor: School Programs Manager; GOCO Program Coordinator
Duration of Internship: 2021-2022 school year, September-May
Hours/Pay: Commit to working an afterschool program 3-4 days/week for a total of approximately 12-15 hours/week, $13/hour
Application Deadline: open until filled
Start date: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 (fall term)
Apply: Click here to apply with a resume and cover letter