- 18-May-2021 to Until Filled (PST)
- Human Resources
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
- Full Time
Excellent competitive benefits including a variety of health plans and a 401(k) plan.
Family Office Financial Services, LLC provides finance, accounting, human resources, technology, communications, executive administration and additional support to the Broad family, The Broad Foundation (TBF), The Broad Art Foundation (TBAF), Family Office Investment Services (FOIS), and interim support to The Broad museum.
TBF, FOFS and FOIS are co-located and operate with aligned values and work collectively to steward our groundbreaking institutions in education, science and the arts, while elevating organizations, initiatives and leaders that boldly address the challenges of our time and expand opportunity for L.A.'s historically marginalized communities.
Our team is agile, curious, and unflappable. We are dedicated, hard-working, resilient, and dynamic individuals who believe in each other and our collective responsibility towards the public good.
We believe in establishing an inclusive workplace where team members feel comfortable sharing their ideas. We strive to create a workplace where we motivate, appreciate, and learn from one another. In a world of rapid change and shifting conditions, we roll up our sleeves, pinch-hit for each other, and believe in each other to meet the extraordinary challenges in these exceptional times.
We believe that all team members should have a global understanding of the work happening across the organizations, how the various components of the work are interconnected, and how their own work ties to The Broad Foundation's mission. We believe communication and collaboration across teams are key to fostering trust and innovation across the organizations.
Family Office Financial Services seeks an innovative and people-centered Vice President of People and Culture (VPPC) who will be responsible for developing a progressive and comprehensive People and Culture strategy, implementing it across the organization, entities and functions and aligning it to our goals and anchoring the plan in diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ). The VPPC will be responsible for talent acquisition, engagement, retention, DEIJ, culture, leadership, people analytics, compensation, employee relations, performance management and learning and development.
Reporting to the CEO of FOFS and President of TBF, the VPPC will be both strategic and hands-on, ready to jump in as necessary as well as build capacity in others. The ideal candidate has a strong and informed people philosophy, is agile, highly collaborative, and able to drive and manage change across the organization. The VPPC will be a key advisor and contributor to senior leadership.
Talent Development and Management
- Develop and implement best in class human capital leadership and effective practices for recruiting, hiring, onboarding, training, learning and development and performance management practices.
Organizational Culture and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice
- Lead the efforts of FOFS in being more diverse, equitable, and inclusive as well as moving towards an anti-racist and anti-oppression culture and environment, and ensure our DEIJ efforts are infused throughout our HR policies and processes
- Cultivate a collaborative, inclusive, caring culture that reflects FOFS' values, attracts top talent, and advances engagement, effectiveness, and innovation and builds bridges across teams and with external partners
- Serve as an internal resource for staff for their personal and professional anti-oppression journeys by providing in-depth knowledge, experience and passion for DEIJ including standard methodologies, state of the profession, and current research
- Build capacity among senior leadership, staff, trustees and other stakeholders.
- Analyze, measure, and report on the efficacy of DEIJ programs and activities.
- Act as a strong culture carrier and communicate a shared values philosophy across employees, Board of Trustees and partners.
- Articulate, nurture and inculcate the culture as we evolve, and be an effective advocate for the entire team and able to manage and celebrate cultural differences and champion employees bringing their whole selves to the workplace.
- Identify relevant and additive avenues for us to share our internal learnings with external partners both peer funders and grantees and work with the TBF Program Team to provide ancillary supports to our grantee partners to maximize their impact.
HR Systems, Practices and Reporting
- Ensure effective Human Resources administrative and operational functions, including payroll, benefits, compensation, employee relations, open enrollment, 401k retirement savings plan, compliance and organization-wide policies and procedures.
Provide leadership, training and support for the department, including directly managing and developing the HR team, ensuring goals are met, the team is able to be nimble and responsive to competing priorities and have the support they need to excel and succeed. Collaborate closely with other departments and senior leadership, provide thought leadership and help guide decision-making.
- Leverage people analytics and data to support recommendations across all aspects of organizational design and HR practice, e.g. communicating, measuring and understanding employee performance, assessing diversity and inclusion, evaluating learning and development offerings, identifying engagement opportunities, etc.
- In partnership with legal counsel, maintain knowledge of all employment related state and federal laws, including labor, wage, hour law and workers compensation and assure full compliance.
- Put our people and kindness at the center of the approach to compliance and other HR policies.
- 10+ years of progressive human resources experience with 5-7 years of DEIJ leadership and at least 3 years managing an HR team
- Demonstrated passion for and alignment with TBF's vision, mission and values
- Strong relationship builder and networker with ability to quickly build rapport and establish trust and respect among our staff, grantees and other stakeholders
- Enthusiastic collaborator with knowledge of HR and DEIJ best practices and approaches
- Experience with a human-centered approach when creating policies and processes
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter with strong critical thinking skills and proven ability to see the big picture, recognize trends, analyze data and make strategic recommendations
- Proven history of leading, inspiring and developing cohesive and high functioning teams with diverse identifies to effectively deliver outcomes while centering an organization's mission
- Demonstrated experience with developing human resources strategies, policies and processes that reflect the values and goals of an organization and centered around diversity, equity, inclusion and justice
- Lifecycle talent acquisition and development experience
- Knowledge of compensation and benefits strategies and programs
- Strength in developing change management strategies and organization design skills, managing their execution and monitoring for impact
- Learning and development experience
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with a high attention to detail
- A personal style that is warm, approachable, confident, yet self-aware and humble and embodies a culture of kindness, respect and openness
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to represent TBF in any given environment
- Willingness to work in ambiguity and adapt to changing and competing priorities
- In depth knowledge of California wage and hour law and other state, local and federal labor laws
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Strong knowledge of the systems and technologies that support HR functions and ability to proactively identify and manage upgrades and tech solutions to best support the team
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and overall positive orientation to new digital tools and programs and ability to learn and adapt in the digital and technology space
Compensations and benefits
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience. FOFS offers excellent benefits including a variety of health plans and a 401(k) plan.
This position is based Los Angeles, California. Following State and County guidelines related to Covid-19, FOFS is currently working remotely. We will be implementing a hybrid work model in which some weekly in-office attendance will be required once it is safe to return to an office.
We have built on lessons learned over two decades of active grantmaking and established the following shared values to guide TBF, FOFS and FOIS in our work internally and externally over the coming years:
Unyielding commitment to the public good. We carry a deep sense of responsibility to help make the world a better place, approaching our work with a tenacious focus on results.
Bold thinking. We need ambitious visions for the future to create lasting, transformative impact. We encourage an entrepreneurial and risk-taking spirit that sparks creative, innovative approaches to address our society's most pressing problems.
Collective action. We listen and learn from others to inform our work. We aim to demonstrate humility, openness and respect for the expertise of systems-impacted communities and other people who know more than we do. We firmly believe our organization must be embedded in a constellation of partners working together towards finding long-term solutions and creating a brighter future.
Integrity. We are responsible and honest stewards, calibrating resources, with candor, trust and accountability.
Diversity, equity, inclusion and justice. We are fiercely committed to amplifying community-based voices and investing in efforts to create systemic change by sharing our power and influence. Within our organization, we strive to foster an inclusive and equitable culture that supports our team and reflects a rich diversity.
Continuous learning. We are devoted to asking hard questions and learning from our partners and the communities we serve. Each day we bring our best thinking, a deep curiosity, flexibility and tireless efforts to our work. We can always do better.
We are excited to review your resume! To join our team, please send a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Equal Opportunity Employer
FOFS is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race (including traits historically associated with race), color, religion or religious creed (including religious dress), ethnic or national origin (including associational and perception-based harassment and discrimination based on national origin), ancestry, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, medical condition (as defined by California law), genetic information, disability status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law with regard to employment opportunities.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.