- Full Time
REPORTS TO: National Project Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Not subject to Overtime)
COMPENSATION: Based on experience plus bonus incentive
REVIEW: Semi-Annually and as appropriate
The Economic Development Services Director has the primary responsibility of advising Tribal clients on the development, oversight and management of economic development programs, in an effort to create jobs, retain existing jobs, expand business operations, and promote new businesses and employment opportunities, while helping to develop a strong and stable economic climate for the clients of BSSP. Conducts business outreach to develop Tribal economic development strategies and provide operational and strategic services for clients of BSSP. Additionally, this position requires a significant amount of project management for BSSP.
- Assist with the development and the implementation of a strategic plan to prioritize economic development activities.
- Assist with the promotion of the business and economic development interest within the community to create buy-in and input.
- Advise on the development of budgets and monitoring, as well as creation of financial reports.
- Conduct analysis and market research to create a needs assessment, which will outline areas of opportunity and/or growth for clients.
- Assist with identifying gaps in services and potential solutions on how to bridge those gaps.
- Assist with planning and coordination of development projects, and ensure funding availability.
- Provide assistance in the development of short and long-term economic and business development plans, as well as gathering information to create studies, reports, and recommendation to achieve their goals.
- Prepare reports that include information on utilities, taxes, zoning, transportation, community services, financing tools, and incentives in order to give an overall assessment of economic development plans.
- Assist in the application and permitting process, and serve as an advocate for economic development in line with the client's goals.
- Work closely with Tribal Councils or Boards, and community leaders, as well as other leadership, to identify areas of concern and possible solutions.
- Make presentation to Councils, Boards, civic groups, community, and businesses on economic development issues, programs, services, and plans.
- Assist with the negotiation and management of service contracts, property acquisition, and economic development-oriented negotiations.
- Provide guidance on the formulation and implementation of marketing and business attraction strategies and negotiations.
- Monitor current events, legislations, and regulations specific to economic development in Indian Country, to include funding opportunities.
- Advise on the development of future projects and redevelopment as requested.
- Conduct Tribally-operated business assessment sin order to improve operational efficiencies, including profit modeling.
- Evaluate merger and acquisition opportunities, including profit modeling.
Project Management (internal to BSSP)
- Oversee all project work to ensure work and timelines are developed and efficiently executed, and communicates with the client to discuss status of project and ensure deliverable expectations are met
- Make introductions to new clients and develop new contracts and opportunities
- Assist with the management of client relations through all means of communication
- Work with BSSG Team Members to develop, conduct, and implement project workplans
- Manage project profitability, team bandwidth, and productivity
- Review documents, presentations, and proposals for consistency and quality
- Provide all levels of support from coordination, documenting processes and meeting, and assigning necessary resources to projects based on bandwidth and expertise
- Assist in data compilation and analysis
- Perform due diligence, interviews, and other data gathering exercise to support project development
- Provide support to Project Managers at all levels, HR, and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
- Track projects and provide status updates
- Coordinate and facilitate project meetings
- Ensure proposals and RFP responses address the scope of the RFP and are sent out within the timeframe provided
- Lead business development by proposing a strategy for managing the resources, budget, and impact while focusing on results and revenue.
- Work with stakeholders to identify opportunities for marketing campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in Tribal economic development services, clients, and revenue generation opportunities, as well as brand enhancement and communication strategies.
- Oversee management of all social media accounts for the Tribal economic development service line.
- Identify and develop relationships with Tribal planners and other decision-makers.
- Create and execute a strategy to gain and maintain ongoing relationships with Tribal economic development business partners and community partners.
- Manage relationships with current and prospective Tribal economic development opportunities to reach revenue goals.
- Develop and implement year-round pipelines and cultivation plans for Tribal economic development accounts, ensuring sufficient depth for revenue generation and excellent customer relations.
- Ensure timely communication with internal and external partners and customers, supporting collaboration in account management and activities to achieve shared goals.
- Develop a strategy to target individual Tribal leaders and their respective Tribal economic development leaders, through community relations, speaking engagements, newsletters, charitable events, and relevant conferences.
- Present business development, targets, and impact measurements to executive team as needed.
- Attend networking events and build relationships with stakeholders.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Municipal or Urban Planning, or equivalent experience required; MBA preferred
- Five (5) years of increasing experience, with three (3) years in a management capacity with fiscal oversight including strategic planning, economic development, and community planning preferably with Tribes
- Tribal preference will be applied when considering applicants
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Significant experience in all aspects of economic and business development; community planning and development, including administrative responsibility
- Strategic thinker with management and business development experience with a proven track record of developing, implementing, and assessing programs and projects
- Excellent human relations and management skills, extensive knowledge and commitment to issues pertaining to economic development, strategic and innovative leadership skills, and experience in working with Boards and Councils
- Working knowledge of zoning, infrastructure, and planning programs and processes
- Understanding of public policy, laws, regulations, and procedures related to economic development
- Understanding of various financing techniques and procedures relating to real estate and business enterprise development, as well as land financing
- Expertise in financial and business analysis, budgeting, and management
- Expertise in the principles and practices of demographic research and analysis; and statistics applicable to economic analysis
- Ability to provide advice and guidance, interpreting regulations, evaluating, assessing, and establishing program policies and goals for the Economic Development Services Initiatives
- Strong knowledge of the myriad of Federal programs, provide funding for Tribal economic development and the related funding requirements, to include the CARES Act and ARPA and how they can be utilized by Tribes
- Experience in marketing and promoting economic development activities and the ability to negotiate with potential business interests
- Proven ability to leverage a variety of funding sources to create complex financial structures that fund Tribal economic development
- Ability to advise on funding applications, contracts, and other necessary documents related to business and economic development
- Ability to liaise with various Tribal, State, and Federal agencies, coordinating projects with these agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate
- Strong communication and facilitation skills with all levels of an organization, including the ability to assess gaps, identify, and implement solutions
- Knowledge and the ability to interpret Federal Tribal laws and regulations, including interpretation of policy directives and changes and program compliance
- Excellent data analysis, verbal, and written presentation skills; detail-oriented
- Strong project management and organization skills with the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, as well as oversee staff working on projects
- Strong mathematical skills, as well as the ability to routinely calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to develop and maintain extensive contacts and interact with a variety of partners including Tribal, Federal, corporate and nonprofit entities
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to foster public trust and maintain professional ethical conduct at all times
- Ability to work within the cultural and governmental framework of a Native American Tribe
- Proven leadership skills within and across organizations; ability to build consensus and resolve conflict with all stakeholders
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation
- Solid analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated effectiveness in identifying operational issues and gaps, and recommending and implementing solutions to resolve those issues and gaps
- Proven ability to motivate and lead cross-functional teams to achieve desired outcomes
- Budgeting, planning, and analysis experience
- Able to prioritize effectively and meet strict deadlines while managing multiple, competing tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong collaborative team player, able to form strong work relationships with peers and leadership with the ability to also work independently with limited direction and supervision
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Skills and experience in sales and customer service
- Experience in market research
- Persuasive writing and strong verbal communication skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, occasionally required to stand and walk:
- Ability to stand, walk or view a computer screen for extended periods of time
- Ability to use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Ability to reach with hands or arms
- Ability to perform repetitive hand and wrist motions for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and transport tables and boxes of materials for events
- Ability to effectively talk and listen to staff, vendors, and donors
- Ability to work at events that may be held outdoors
Travel requirement up to 40% of worktime.
Job descriptions are used primarily to assist in the identification of the core duties and responsibilities of a position
and to be used in determining the level of compensation for the position. Other duties and responsibilities may be
added or removed at the discretion of the company.