- Bloomfield, NM, USA
- $16.34 - $22.30/hr. DOE/Q
- Full Time
Competitive - Full Benefits
Performs a variety of full performance, routine and complex clerical duties as needed to expedite the billing, collection and processing of utility account transactions. Interacts with customers, handles customer queries and complaints in a timely professional manner.
Works under the general guidance and direction of the Finance Director.
May provide close to general supervision and training to Customer Service Representatives.
Receives walk-in and mail-in customer payments or deposits for various accounts, i.e., water,sewer, trash meter deposits, new tap fees, police reports, business license, etc.; prepares daily balance report and computer posts payments to citizen accounts; sets up new water accounts and creates computer records.
Prepares billing statements on a monthly cycle; prepares and mails utility bills for businesses and residents; completes payment and collection transactions; credits and debits accounts monthly; runs various computer reports, and balances (before and after billing); enters various deposits into computer on daily basis; maintains computerized customer records showing payment history, delinquency status and account balances; runs delinquent registers on computer and sends out delinquent notices; coordinates with various divisions to acquire pertinent information to assure proper billing of utility accounts; prepares monthly spreadsheets showing billings, collections, and receivables; prepares monthly and annual reports showing number of account actions such as shut-offs, turned-on, new accounts, final notices etc.
Mails follow up billings to residents and performs telephone follow up as needed; monitors changes in ownership, makes needed adjustments to utility billings and mails letters notifying customers of adjustments, researches payments that have been lost or mis-credited; processes monthly collections report.
Responds to issues, questions and problems posed by customers; hears complaints related to trash collection, water bills, street conditions, etc.; evaluates circumstances based upon policy and precedent; calculates and authorizes credits and adjustments based upon established criteria; calculates disconnect fees, transfer fees and monitors records for meter misreads; provides for solutions or options as needed; negotiates payment schedules and arrangements for past due accounts; initiates utility shut-offs.
Prepares activity reports showing number and type of account transactions, including connections and disconnections; prepare balancing report by comparing receipts with total daily revenue; assists to prepare daily bank deposit.
Identifies action needed to update account records, such as name changes, ownership changes, change of address and other change requests.
Receives, reviews and enters water meter readings; determines that all accounts have current readings; evaluates readings to determine misreads and consumption irregularities; prepares re-read list; generates work orders for meter readers, i.e., "turn on" or "shut off" services; prepares water use reports for public works/water department.
May perform accounts payable duties; performs clerical and secretarial backup duties as needed; acts as receptionist, answers calls, assists the public; etc..
Performs related duties as required
Processes new fitness center members, explains membership details and rules, takes payments and updates WinDXT and member files; schedules cultural center activities, gives out information, receives and records rental and damage deposit payments, and process damage deposit refunds.
Performs related duties as required.
- Education and Experience: A. Graduation from high school, plus specialized training in customer services, customer relations, computer operations, bookkeeping, accounts payable or related field; AND B. Four (4) years of responsible experience related to above duties; preferably in a governmental utility account management; OR C. An equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; modern office practices and procedures; debits and credits; municipal organizations and department operations including applicable laws and regulations; various revenue sources available to local governments including state and federal sources; basic personnel management practices and procedures; computer accounting applications and various software financial programs (MS Word, Excel, Power Point); operation of standard office equipment; mathematics and advanced accounting; interpersonal communication skills and telephone etiquette; public relations. Skill in the art of cooperative problem solving; in dealing with public and public relations issues; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with State, Federal, and other local officials, elected officials, subordinate staff, and city residents; the operation of PC Computer, calculator, fax machine, copy machine, telephone. Must have excellent customer service skills; leadership skills, written and verbal communication skills, problem solving, negotiation skills, patience, compassion, and empathy. A passion for customer satisfaction. Time management skills. Readiness to learn and recommend procedural changes for time management and cost-saving; Provide introductory information to new customers; Strong verbal and written skills for customer correspondence, reports, performance reviews. Ability to analyze a variety of utility/account problems and make recommendations; analyze complex billing problems and make standard adjustments; prepare and analyze complex financial reports; operate various types of standard office equipment such as typewriter, 10 key calculator, keyboard, etc.; operate personal computer (windows) in utilizing various programs to produce or compose formal documents, reports and records; communicate effectively verbally and in writing; effectively supervise and train subordinates; develop effective working relationships with executive management, elected officials, supervisors, fellow employees, and the public.
- Special Qualifications: Must be bondable. May be required to be a Notary.
- Work Environment: Typical office setting with typical climate controls. Tasks require a variety of physical activities such as walking, standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, not generally involving muscular strain. Job functions normally require talking, hearing and seeing. Common eye, hand, finger dexterity required for most essential functions. Mental application utilizes memory for details, verbal instructions, emotional stability, discriminating thinking and creative problem solving.
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature, level, and type of work performed by the incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, demands, and skills required of personnel so classified. Job descriptions are not intended to and do not imply or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. Management reserves the right to add, delete, or modify any and/or all provisions of this description at any time as needed without notice. This job description supersedes earlier versions.