The College Media Relations Manager within the Beloit College Office of Communications and Marketing generates, coordinates, and edits college news stories, and serves as a public relations professional, overseeing local and regional media relations, and uses social media as a tool to advance the College's reputation and image. The Media Relations Manager will serve as a college and community champion on campus and off, and will prepare and place stories that elevate the reputation of the college and its people and advance its goals on the college's internal news channels, social media channels, in Beloit College Magazine, as well as in the media, online, and in other venues.
The Office of Communications and Marketing provides strategic leadership and creative services that directly advance the college's strategic outcomes, strengthen the college's national reputation and connect the campus community, prospective students, alumni, and namesake city with Beloit College.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
Media and Community Relations:
- Administers media relations activities nationally, regionally, and locally on behalf of the college, pitching stories, arranging interviews, distributing media alerts, and providing strategic support aimed at elevating the college's visibility. Works with partner agencies to identify placement opportunities.
- Provides informed comment as an occasional college spokesperson and arranges expert interviews with local and regional print, web and broadcast media.
- Oversees production of all news releases as well as content for two annual event marketing pieces highlighting each semester's public events.
- Provides stories and story suggestions for specific publications, including Beloit College Magazine and beloit.edu.
- Works with web staff to ensure the website features stories ways that drive strategic outcomes for the institution and position our faculty and staff as resources for national and local stories and issues.
- Serves as back-up emergency communications officer for the college, helping launch, monitor, and train for emergency communication situations and response.
Digital and Social Media
- In collaboration with other C&M staff, uses the college's social media channels to identify engagement opportunities that further the college's image and reputation.
- Uses social media to alert college leadership to potentially damaging posts and assists in subsequent crisis communications efforts
- Provides strategic direction, advising, and planning for campus department social media channels, ensuring compliance with and execution of the college's social media policies.
- Acts as editor-in-chief and lead writer for the Beloit News website and regular email.
- Manages, motivates, and recruits community partners, C&M staff, and student writers/photographers/videographers who regularly produce content.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required. Education or training in marketing or journalism required.
- At least 5-7 years of professional writing, media relations, and social media in the context of news management Equivalent experience through internships and extracurricular activities will be considered.