- NASA Armstrong
- Edwards AFB, CA, USA
- 160000-180000 per year
- Full Time
Bastion offers career opportunities with competitive benefits, exciting possibilities for advancement and an exceptional work environment. Our culture is based on strong business ethics, integrity, and professionalism. Our team members are known for their initiative and high-quality work. When it comes to our employees, we value, respect, and help them grow in their careers.
Bastion Technologies is currently seeking a System Safety Engineer (SSE) to support one or NASA Armstrong's flight research activities in support of NASA's airworthiness and safety review process. This is a full-time mid to senior-level position to lead and facilitate system safety and hazard management in an organized, disciplined approach to the identification and mitigation of test safety hazards affecting personnel, hardware, and mission success to an acceptable level.
- Provide System Safety expertise to the Project Teams and facilitates the development, documentation, and implementation of system safety plans for flight and ground operations,
- Maintain Continuous Risk Management (CRM), capture lessons-learned, and analyzes component-level reliability and maintainability.
- Manage and lead projects thru System Safety Working Group (SSWG) discussions, capture project risks, hazards classification and mitigation formulation.
- Develop and maintain project hazard database and supports project reporting.
- Organize, attend, lead, and assess the effectiveness of the assigned project's System Safety Working Group (SSWG) meetings.
- Support review group(s) chartered to provide independent assessments of the project.
- Participate in project meetings, configuration control boards, design reviews, flight readiness reviews, etc.
- Assist in the development of sustainable network and web-based tools to collect and present hazard analysis information.
- Prepare presentations and present project system safety hazard status in front of NASA center management and/or agency safety review boards as required.
- Complete a curriculum of NASA and DoD training to ensure system safety competency required by the various NASA operations.
- Mentors less experienced engineers in specific system safety process and principles.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- due to the sensitivity of customer related information.
- Must have a bachelor's degree in a STEM related field.
- Must have 3+ years of recent and related work experience.
- In lieu of a degree Engineering Technicians (Non-Degreed) with specific or unique 8+ years of experience in aeronautical, or aerospace design, analysis, or engineering, will be considered.
- Applies knowledge of engineering, technology and systems engineering concepts to the specific technical tasks.
- Ability to devise a course of action by evaluating unusual circumstances, considering different approaches, and dealing with incomplete and conflicting data.
- Exercises a high degree of originality and sound judgment in formulating, evaluating, and correlating broad engineering research concepts, guiding the analysis of unique problems.
- Five (5) or more experience as a group leader, project engineer, project manager or equivalent.
- Able to mentor less experienced engineers in specific system safety process and principles.
- Ability to decompose project instructions to ascertain requirements, specifications, procedures, objectives, equipment, nature of technical problem, and possible solutions.
- Apply standard methodologies but is capable of innovative thinking, problem-solving, and independent judgment in resolving complex issues.
- Experience as a technical team member in the development, prototyping and flight testing of unique aerospace systems.
- Ability to apply safety analysis techniques such as Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Fault Tree analysis for identifying failure modes in design, manufacturing, assembly, and operations is desirable.
- Solid leadership abilities to lead teams to identify, categorize, mitigate, and manage system safety risks (hazards) to personnel, mission systems and supporting systems.
- Experience in one or more of the following technology areas is highly desirable: Avionics hardware systems, software design, development and management, real-time systems, Unmanned Aircraft Systems or system test and validation.
This position offers a 9/80 schedule, every other Friday off; some travel will be required.
All of Bastion's employees must be team players, able to communicate effectively with internal and external customers, able to follow company programs, processes, procedures, practices, requirements, goals, and objectives, they must have a strong work ethic and must be safety culture oriented. In addition, they must have experience with Microsoft Office Suite, and must be organized with good time management skills.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS REQUIRED:
All Bastion employees must be able to pass a national agency check, some positions require a clearance and will require an extensive background verification/check process.
DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREENING REQUIRED:
All Bastion employees must be able to pass pre-employment drug screen; some contracts require participation in periodic random drug and alcohol screening programs.
Bastion offers a wide range of benefits for their full-time employees; medical, prescription, dental, vision, AD&D, disability benefits, life insurance, retirement 401k, vacation, sick pay, holidays, and flexible work schedules (when available). We also support career advancement through professional training and development.
In compliance with the U.S. federal government's vaccine mandate, only candidates who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or who have a reasonable accommodation or approved medical exception will be considered for this position.
$160,000 - $180,000
Bastion is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Bastion participates in e-Verify.
This position qualifies for the internal Bastion Employee Referral Program as a "Critical to Fill" position.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!