- JPL - California
- Pasadena, CA, USA
- 70000-120000 per year
- Full Time
Bastion offers career opportunities with competitive benefits, exciting possibilities for advancement and an exceptional work environment. Our culture is based on a strong business ethics, integrity, and professionalism. Our team members are known for their initiative and high-quality work. When it comes to our employees, we value, respect, and help them grow in their careers.
The Quality Assurance Specialist - Optical Metrology will be assigned to the optical alignment and metrology sub-team within the Hardware Quality Assurance Group 512D at JPL. Will be responsible for Designing, proposing, and implementing optical alignment solutions and methods for complex hardware and test configurations.
- Apply extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, and concepts in optical metrology to independently conceive plans to solve difficult alignment problems that are multifaceted and cross-disciplinary in nature, resulting in contributions to the development of new theories and methods.
- Analyze measured data for use in final system requirements verifications and ensure the integrity of the data. Analysis of situations or data requires identification, review and interpretation of extremely complex factors
- Provide alignment, mapping and measurement services across multiple projects simultaneously, maintaining both project schedules and measurement accuracy and integrity.
- Interpret complex technical requirements to develop test documentation and compose test plans that work within project schedule and hardware configuration constraints. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to plan workflow.
- Use creativity and innovation on a regular basis, often leading to significant breakthroughs in the discipline. Monitors the effectiveness and accuracy of existing systems and reporting develops new procedures to improve data
- Apply advanced knowledge in the field of optical metrology to review engineering drawings and plans, explain and negotiate measurement approaches and work to established plans and schedules.
- Review suppliers' and partners' plans, identify issues and provide expert feedback and recommendations on plan and ensure necessary corrections are made.
- Serve as a primary source for optical metrology information on major assignments and projects without appreciable direction, typically exercising considerable latitude in determining objectives.
- Represent JPL through regular interface with representatives of organizations outside JPL including suppliers, customers, and partner facilities
- Advise management on extremely complex and significant issues.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- due to the sensitivity of customer related information.
- This position requires a minimum of a high school diploma/or equivalent.
- Must have 9+ years of recent and related work experience.
- Advanced knowledge in Optical Metrology and Alignment, with minimum 9 years direct experience.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following areas: Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing, Dimensional Inspection techniques, Quality Engineering, Configuration Management, or Manufacturing processes.
- Ability to evaluate and understand the special challenges and nuances of 3D alignment equipment and making precision measurements on spacecraft, support and test equipment, facilities, and other associated aerospace hardware.
- An understanding of calibration and measurement errors, and their impacts on results is critical.
- Experience in a large aerospace company.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable industry and standards in design, engineering, fabrication, integration, test and launch of space-flight hardware.
- Demonstrated proficiency in mechanical hardware assurance methods (inspection, test, analysis).
- Advanced experience using Spatial Analyzer software, using theodolites, laser trackers, portable coordinate measuring scan arms, and the ability to effectively interpret results.
- Understanding of risks and risk management approaches.
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in civil, mechanical, manufacturing, aerospace engineering, or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 7+ years of related experience; master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5+ years of related experience.
- Experience using Spatial Analyzer software.
- Photogrammetry experience is a plus but not mandatory.
- Advanced understanding of electromechanical, optical and mechanical manufacturing processes and associated inspection methods.
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001, AS9100, etc.), Process Variation, and Deming's approach to Systems.
- Previous experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Process Engineer, Test Engineer, and/or Design Engineer.
- This position is located onsite.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS REQUIRED:
All Bastion employees must be able to pass a national agency check, some positions require a clearance and will require an extensive background verification/check process.
DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREENING REQUIRED:
All Bastion employees must be able to pass pre-employment drug screen; some contracts require participation in periodic random drug and alcohol screening programs.
All of Bastion's employees must be team players, able to communicate effectively with internal and external customers, able to follow company programs, processes, procedures, practices, requirements, goals, and objectives, they must have a strong work ethic and must be safety culture oriented. In addition, they must also be organized, with good time management skills.
Bastion offers a wide range of benefits for their full-time employees; medical, prescription, dental, vision, AD&D, disability benefits, life insurance, retirement 401k, vacation, sick pay, holidays, and flexible work schedules (when available). We also support career advancement through professional training and development.
In compliance with the U.S. federal government's vaccine mandate, only candidates who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or who have a reasonable accommodation or approved medical exception will be considered for this position.
$70,000 - $120,000 annually
Bastion is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Bastion participates in e-Verify.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!