Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. Named "Best Nonprofit" and "Best Place to Volunteer" by our community, we offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence. (Video)
The Arizona Humane Society will require proof of immunization against COVID-19 for all new employees. Exemptions will be allowed for medical or religious reasons.
Mesa Thrift Store Associate - Part Time
POSITION SUMMARY: Ensure safe and efficient operation of the thrift store. Maximize revenues through use of approved marketing and display techniques, appropriate pricing practices and excellent customer service. The ability to train and schedule volunteers to cover available shifts. Saturday, Sunday and Monday
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to run the cash register without assistance upon completion of training.
- Accept, process and price donations providing the best customer service to both donors and customers.
- Assist customers with loading and unloading their donations/purchases, including furniture items.
- Upon completion of training, must be able to process donations quickly and efficiently which can be up to about 700 garments or about 40 boxes of hard goods in a shift.
- Assist volunteers with thrift store operations. Volunteers are to be thoroughly trained on cash register, receiving donations, processing and customer service.
- Inform the supervisor or manager of any store concerns such as suspected theft, customer complaints, safety issues, etc.
- Ensure shop is kept clean and neat with merchandise aesthetically displayed.
- Ensure availability of all necessary supplies by maintaining and replenishing inventories as needed.
- Work closely with Thrift Store Drivers to ensure prompt pickups of donated items. Be ready and available to help drivers load and unload the truck if necessary.
- Prepare inventory for all estate donations; prepare all required documents for tax purposes.
- Keep volunteer roster current, including phone numbers and days and times worked; distribute copies to appropriate individuals. Track and maintain record of volunteer hours worked.
- Store and maintain shop records, including sales totals and work logs.
- Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Thrift store and merchandising experience preferred as well as good public relations skills.
- Must be punctual and reliable; able to manage own time and function independently in an unstructured environment with minimum supervision.
- This associate will also possess leadership skills and the ability to train volunteers.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 pounds unassisted.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English; Spanish language helpful.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to perform basic mathematical skills.
Computer Skills: Ability to use a cash register.
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Regular attendance is required. Access to reliable transportation.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.