Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. Named "Best Nonprofit" and "Best Place to Volunteer" by our community, we offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence. (Video)
The Arizona Humane Society will require proof of immunization against COVID-19 for all new employees. Exemptions will be allowed for medical or religious reasons.
animal care and Experience coordinator
Are you passionate about leading and mentoring a team while staying hands on in operations? Do you thrive in fast pace environment that challenges you? Are you driven to inspire team members to bring their best and most motivated selves to their work daily?
In this role, you are directly responsible for the day-to-day operations on the floor, including overseeing care, culture, relationships, and efficiencies. The coordinators' primary location is in the kennels mentoring the AC&E team and volunteers. This role requires consistently demonstrating strong communication, conflict resolution, emotional intelligence, and critical thinking skills.
Day in the Life:
- Review and adjust staff schedule/assignments as needed
- Host beginning shift team touch base
- Print required reports
- Update departmental communication and data platforms
- Greet and provide direction to volunteers
- Work alongside of the Animal Care & Experience Team and volunteers in the kennels
- Provide coaching, training and other supportive guidance
- Conduct inventory, equipment and timecard audits
- Submit repair request
- Conduct scheduled 1-1's with direct reports
- Attend scheduled meetings or other assigned tasks
- Work with peers, leaders and other departments to manage daily operations
- Host end of team touch base, ensure all areas and duties are complete
- Determine staffing needs. Formulate work schedules; assign job duties and responsibilities to Animal Care Specialist.
- Process time clocks bi-weekly.
- Assist Animal Care and Experience leadership with department goals, budgets and advancement. Make recommendations and participate in departmental improvements, staff training and team building.
- Ensure issues are reported, escalated and/or resolved in a timely manner.
- Monitor Animal Care and Experience teams, including Animal Experience volunteers, to ensure compliance of departmental operations and expectations.
- Monitor, oversee, counsel, and evaluate job performance of Animal Care & Experience Specialist.
- Work with and assist Animal Experience volunteers as necessary.
- Ensure Animal Care Specialist understand and carry out their responsibilities accurately, safely and efficiently, providing a clean, safe environment for the public, other employees and the animals.
- Ensure that supplies are maintained and areas meet organization and cleanliness standards.
- Ensure each area has the proper equipment and the equipment is in proper working order.
- Report and investigate all on-the-job injuries sustained by Animal Care and Experience staff and volunteers. Complete paperwork and follow proper protocol for injuries.
- Assist in supply inventory and ordering of care and enrichment items on a weekly basis.
- Ensure all chemicals are used/handled properly and safely by Animal Care Specialist, other employees and volunteers.
- Assist in the interview, hiring and onboarding process for new staff members.
- Ensure requests for assistance from any personnel are responded to in a prompt and courteous manner.
- Consult regularly with the Animal Care and Experience Manager/Supervisor regarding work schedules, department procedure and any necessary corrective actions and/or employee and volunteer relation issues.
- Participate in the planning and delivery of departmental meetings and huddles.
- Update enrichment tracking programs, Chameleon, or other data collection platforms.
- Ensure all staff provide an Excellent Experience Every time.
- Support the overall mission of Animal Experience by ensuring all AHS animals receive kindness, compassion, low-stress handling, positive interactions, mental stimulation, and physical exercise daily
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education / Certifications / Licenses:
- High school diploma/GED
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
Language - Able to speak, read, write and understand English.
Mathematical - Basic
Technical - Computer
Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation are required.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. There may be occasional wet floors, animal noises, odors, and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air-conditioned and heated office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check is required.