Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. Named "Best Nonprofit" and "Best Place to Volunteer" by our community, we offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence. (Video)
The Arizona Humane Society will require proof of immunization against COVID-19 for all new employees. Exemptions will be allowed for medical or religious reasons.
Animal Care & Experience Specialist
Weekend Shifts Required
The Arizona Humane Society is home to the Second Chance Animal Trauma Hospital (SCATH) the largest shelter-based trauma hospital in the southwest. With this extensive medical care, animals are with us for extended periods; this is the "why" behind Animal Care and Experience. An animals experience encompasses cleaning, feeding, social interaction and mental simulation as part of our holistic care model.
In this role you will clean and sanitize the facility and animal habitats; feed, water and observe animals brought into AHS for signs of illness or stress. Communicate daily with multiple departments, volunteers and teammates on animal needs. Maintain order and cleanliness of all areas. Provide enrichment, positive interaction and low stress handling to all AHS animals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Adhere to all established workflows to ensure the needs of the animals, the department and the organization are met.
- Observe animals brought into the Arizona Humane Society for signs of illness and behavior pattern changes. Report those changes promptly as outlined, including entering correct information into the computer and on kennels cards.
- Work with and assist Animal Experience volunteers.
- Clean and sanitize facility and animal habitats according to outlined procedures in a timely manner. Including emptying garbage, washing dishes, laundry, dog yards and walkway sanitization daily.
- Feed, water and maintain habitats in accordance with departmental and organizational standards at all times.
- Complete all assigned daily enrichment tasks, which include the delivery enrichment, printing reports and documenting the completion of tasks.
- Have and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of all animal care and experience procedures.
- Handle all animals humanely in accordance with our low stress and fear free standards; correctly using safety equipment if necessary.
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals, proper handling and safety procedures while using and handling.
- Restock and maintain supply count in all animal areas.
- Assist in training of new staff members.
- Move animals as required, change kennel location in the computer and move the paperwork to appropriate place.
- Ensure Standards of Care are followed.
- Ensure internal and external customers receive an Excellent Experience Every time.
- Demonstrate Innovation, Compassion and Excellence at all times.
- Support the overall mission of Animal Experience by ensuring all AHS animals receive: kindness, compassion, low stress handling, positive interactions, mental stimulation, and physical exercise daily.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Possess strong written and verbal skills.
- The ability to multi-task and work consistently at a fast pace.
- A basic knowledge of animals and animal handling is preferred.
- Weekend shifts are required.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English; Spanish language helpful.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to perform basic mathematical skills.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Explorer; able to learn other software programs as necessary. Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid AZ Driver's License and insurance.
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Regular attendance is required. Access to reliable transportation. Ability to perform in a high stress level environment. Positive communication skills required.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. This position requires continuous standing, walking, reaching and carrying animals and supplies weighing over 70 pounds. There is continuous repetitive motion of the hands, arms and legs. Good vision and hearing are required. Be able to multi task and work at a consistent fast pace throughout work day. This person works with and around others nearly all the time and will have frequent interruptions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: In this role you are is exposed to potentially dangerous, fast-moving animals. There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander.