Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. Named "Best Nonprofit" and "Best Place to Volunteer" by our community, we offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence. (Video)
The Arizona Humane Society will require proof of immunization against COVID-19 for all new employees. Exemptions will be allowed for medical or religious reasons.
COMBINE YOUR PASSION WITH A PURPOSE in our Accounting Department
Our Accounting Department is committed to providing our staff with an Excellent Experience Every Time. As a member of this team, the Controller's role will be working under the direction of the CFO, the Controller oversees and coordinates the daily activities of the accounting team to accurately manage the revenues, expenses, assets and liabilities of the organization. This is a high volume and fast paced position that needs an equally high attention to detail. This is a full-time position that offers the ability to mix work from home with in-office time and bring your pet into the office. We are seeking a highly motived team player to join our accounting team.
As part of the AHS team, your work will help to help save the lives of homeless and owned pets who have nowhere else to turn and/or need access to alternatives to surrendering pets. It will help our staff care for injured, orphaned and stray animals, reunify lost pets with their families, help ensure that all pet owners have access to affordable veterinary care, and provide a kind and compassionate experience for customers. We're proud to provide reduced or free grant-funded services to our underserved and underprivileged community who may not otherwise seek care for their pets due to financial barriers. Your work will impact those who have to choose between paying their bills or getting medical care for their pets and will help keep families together and pets out of the shelters. Our programs are built on creating a fear free environment for our entire shelter population while also customizing care to meet each animals unique needs.
As the Southwest's largest shelter-based trauma hospital, your work will give second chances to pets who are routinely euthanized at other shelters across the country. You will be able to save pets Maximus who was hit by a car and rescued by our pet paramedics. It is more than teaching; it's a mission and purpose. Click here to watch our video about our Second Chance Animal Trauma Hospital.
COLLABORATIVE TEAM ENVIRONMENT
Our department is small, but mighty! We offer an opportunity to work alongside others with a passion for improvements to the animal welfare world and the innovative ideas to make it happen.
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH
Investing in our staff is important to us! We want you to learn new skills and grow in the role. We are a large, non-profit organization with growth opportunities across many departments.
PAWS UP FOR GREAT BENEFITS!
- Competitive salary
- Medical & dental
- PTO and paid holidays
- Discount on veterinary services
- Got student loans? Employment with AHS may qualify you for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program!
A DAY IN THE LIFE AT AHS' Accounting Department may include:
- Leads and develops vision for accounting and purchasing teams.
- Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinates completion of monthly financial reporting.
- Oversees monthly close and reconciliation process.
- Assists AHS leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administers and reviews all financial plans and compares to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Tracks Capital campaign receipts and expenditures.
- Supervises restricted gift recording and tracking of related expenses.
- Coordinates all year-end financial audit activity, including relationship with external auditors
- Works with peer Director Team to improve collaboration and provides financial data needed for decision making.
- Coordinates creation and submittal of annual Form 990.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education / Certifications / Licenses: BA/BS in Accounting from an accredited University and proven working experience leading an Accounting team.
Experience: 5 years of professional work experience in accounting and management.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Have a strong understanding of accounting principles, practices, standards and laws.
- Ability to direct and supervise staff.
- Advanced Excel skills and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Have a passion for providing great customer service and helping others.
- Detail oriented and able to balance multiple projects.
- Be able to work independently
- Must be fully vaccinated.
Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation required.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. There may be occasional wet floors, animal noises, odors, and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check required.