- 08-Aug-2019 to Until Filled (CST)
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
St. Austin Catholic School is seeking a dedicated full time substitute teacher for the current school year.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Austin are canonically obedient to the Bishop and assist him in fulfilling his ministry and canonical obligations. Pastors, presidents, and principals serve as leaders of the schools to make Christ's mission present and enduring in the schools. In order to fulfill Christ's mission, the school leaders employ suitable, chosen collaborators, sharing with them Christ's mission and entrusting to them various responsibilities.
Positions employed in this School help extend the ministry of the School leaders in particular ways as outlined in the job description. The employee in this position is closely connected to and assists the School leaders in the performance of their ministry and, therefore, engages in ministry for the Church.
The substitute teacher fulfills the mission of the school by filling in for the classroom teacher in guiding the learning process of the students in the Catholic school for whom the teacher is responsible within the framework of the school's philosophy, organization, and curriculum. The substitute teacher assists students, follows lesson plans and guidelines outlined by the teacher, and supports learning activities that have been defined by the teacher. The position is hired and evaluated by the principal.
- Support and uphold the philosophy of Catholic education and the mission of the school.
- Support and adhere to the Standards of Conduct and policies and procedures of the school
- Supervises students in the classroom, at lunch, recess, and in routine movement
- Provides feedback for the classroom teacher upon his/her return
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the basic teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Knowledge of child development, learning, and behavior.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks simultaneously and following directions.
- Skill in motivating and engaging students in the learning process.
- Skill in organizing and relating information in an understandable format.
- Skill in using job-appropriate technology.
- Skill in critical thinking and planning.
- Skill in demonstrating professionalism in conduct, demeanor, and work habits.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding school matters.
- Ability to manage student behavior in the classroom setting.
- Ability to maintain current and accurate records according to school policy
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to work well with others in the school community.
- 4-year college degree or equivalent
- None required
Certifications and Training:
- Sufficient training to perform tasks assigned by the principal
- Must submit an Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM) Application for Ministry within the first week of employment, participate in an EIM Basic abuse prevention training workshop within 60 days of submitting a completed Application for Ministry, and maintain EIM compliance during the entire term of employment.
- All employees of the school are engaged in ministry and closely tied to the Principal in the exercise of the Principal's ministry and obligations to the school.
- The school is an at-will employer.
- Working in a fast-paced environment with priorities and plans that may change rapidly.
- Will be exposed to religious ceremonies, conduct, and speech including Christian prayer and Catholic liturgical celebrations.
- Will be required to adhere to established dress codes and conduct standards.
- All buildings and vehicles owned by the school are tobacco-free.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!