- Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
- 42702.40-59779.20 per year
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision & Life Insurance, Paid time off, Matching Retirement Account
Archuleta County Public Works is looking for a qualified Solid Waste Facilities Operator.
We offer excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, 401(a) retirement plan, County will match employee contribution, up to 7%, paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, sick leave donation program, bereavement leave, and $50,000 of life and AD&D insurance.
This position performs customer service and semi-skilled labor in the maintenance and operation of the County landfill, transfer station and recycling facilities.
- Operates heavy equipment, receives the public, handles money, monitors waste, directs traffic, and open and closes gates at designated times.
- Maintains clean and orderly facilities. Due to hours of operation may be expected to work holidays and/or weekends.
- Operates light and heavy equipment including but not limited to, a roll-off truck, front-end loaders, dozers, compactors, trash compactor, recycling baler, and skid loader.
- Receives and directs public utilizing the landfill, transfer station and recycling facilities.
- Determines fees, collects money, directs traffic, and monitors waste. Complete reports of daily deposits of funds collected.
- Ensures that refuse dumped at the facilities complies with County rules and policies related to the solid waste operations. Identifies hazardous waste and advises public on recommended proper disposal.
- Maintains and makes minor mechanical adjustments and repairs to assigned equipment. Inspects including but not limited to tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil, and water.
- Receives and assists the public in separating recyclable materials dropped off by the public, identifies the proper location of disposal of each material.
- Maintains log of all customers utilizing the facilities and records tickets of those customers, as well as to maintain daily logs of deposits and summary of monthly totals. Prepare daily deposits for funds received at the facilities.
- Be able to recognize customer's status as to bad check list and or ability to charge solid waste services at the landfill.
- Practices and promotes safe working conditions in the performance of duties.
- Provides coverage for landfill, transfer station and recycling tasks on a rotational and as needed basis.
- Maintains a clean and orderly facilities.
- Empties containers and collects waste as needed for local organizations, special events and functions.
- Operates roll off truck to move or swap out roll off containers for both recycling and transfer operations.
- Stockpiles baled material, maintains inventory of ready for sale and advises Solid Waste Director when a truckload is available.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade. Experience: One year of experience in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Possession of and ability to maintain a Colorado Class "B" CDL with a current DOT medical card.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of laws and regulations for disposal and operation of a subtitle D landfill, ability to read design plans and implement construction according to those plans. Maintain compliance with CDPHE regulations as to operation and ongoing maintain of the landfill facility.
- Knowledge of practices, methods, and equipment used in landfill and recycling operations.
- Knowledge of safe working practices, procedures and operation of tools and equipment.
- Ability to identify hazardous material and dangers involved with handling these materials.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to provide professional customer service and clear direction to clients and public.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks while maintaining a busy environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and calculate volumes.
- Ability to maintain written logs and activity sheets daily.
- Ability to perform duties independently without close supervision.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Is expected to operate heavy equipment in the operation of the landfill, transfer stations and recycling center. Equipment not limited to but to include roll-off truck, front-end loaders, dozers, compactors, trash compactor, recycling baler and skid loader.
- The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successful perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires full range of body movement including pulling/pushing, reaching, bending/stooping, kneeling, squatting, and twisting for constant picking-up, moving, and separating of recyclable materials, and negotiating around equipment.
- Requires constant physical mobility in the performance of work including the ability to negotiate restricted pedestrian pathways obstructed by equipment necessary to the particular operation.
- Requires sufficient hearing and speech ability to communicate verbally in response to inquiries. Requires ability to receive/exchange written and/or verbal instructions.
- Specific vision abilities required for this position include but not limited to, too see and distinguish close objects, such as detailed documents, distance vision, have the ability to identify objects in low to bright light, to see movement in a wide field of vision, color vison.
- While performing the duties of this position the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, monitor and respond to radio and telephone systems.
- Ability to work with hands above shoulder height or arms extended at or above shoulder height, ability to lift up to 100 pounds. The employee is required to use and to finger dexterity to grasp or feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- Requires repetitive movement's standard in office-related activities such as typing, sitting and standing, talking in person and via telephone.
- Requires ability to frequently lift and carry materials up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift/carry materials weighing over 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics herein are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee occasionally works near mechanical parts, occasionally exposed to wet and humid conditions, airborne particles. Work is conducted in both indoor and outdoor environments. Incumbent experiences frequent exposure to all types of weather conditions, fumes, dust, solvents, grease and oils. All job descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been included. Requirements, skills and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the position. In no instance however, should the duties, responsibilities and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive. Supervisors as deemed appropriate may assign additional functions and requirements. In accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodation will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which may pose undue hardships on the organization. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the need of the employer and requirements of the job change.