- Road & Bridge
- Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
- $16.81 - $25.00
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision & Retirement plan, Life Insurance, Vacation, Sick leave, Paid Holidays
Archuleta County is hiring immediately for entry-level Equipment Operators. This position is paid a competitive wage of $16.81- $25.00 per hour, based on experience and qualifications.
Looking for winter work? To better fit the needs of our town, Winter Seasonal- Full Time and Part time positions are also available!
We offer excellent benefits including:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Paid holidays, vacation, bereavement leave, sick leave, sick leave donation program.
- $50,000 of life and AD&D insurance.
- You will have the opportunity to contribute into a 401 (a) retirement plan, the county will match your selected contribution up to 7%.
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, apply today!
- Performs semi-skilled and skilled labor and operates light trucks and construction equipment required for the maintenance and repair of County roads and bridges, snow removal, and flood and wildfire control.
- This is an entry-level position within the Equipment Operator series. This classification is used for training incumbents typically without prior or with little experience and knowledge in this field or area. Positions in this class work under immediate supervision while learning job tasks. Work is characterized by development of basic and routine skills and knowledge required to perform the job such as equipment operation, use of materials and equipment in the maintenance and repair of roads and bridges, and safety practices.
Receives direct supervision from the Road and Bridge Foremen.
- Performs manual work including spreading gravel, patching potholes, repairing or replacing culverts and cattle guards, and clearing rocks, brush, and debris from roads and right of ways.
- Operates light equipment such as jack hammers and chainsaws, lawnmowers, single and tandem-axle trucks with snow plows and sanders, water trucks, and tractors.
- Operates other construction equipment as necessary for on-the-job training.
- Maintains and makes minor mechanical adjustments and repairs to assigned equipment. Inspects tires, lights, brakes, fuel, oil, and water.
- Transports, loads, and unloads tools and equipment.
- Operates and maintains specialized hand and power tools.
- Assists in the installation, repair, and maintenance of signs.
- Performs traffic control at job sites.
- Practices and promotes safe working conditions in the performance of duties.
- Performs snow removal and flood and wildfire control, when called an employee must report for duty within one hour.
- May be called upon to assist other County departments and/or outside agencies as requested.
- Maintains accurate time, activity, and maintenance logs as required.
- Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- Six months of experience in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities such as general labor or construction.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of or ability to acquire a Colorado Class "A" CDL with Tanker and Hazmat endorsements, Traffic Control Certification and a current DOT medical card within 60 days of hire.
*Candidates with a Class B CDL are also encouraged to apply!
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- General practices, methods, and tools used in the construction and maintenance of roads and right of ways.
- Safe working practices and procedures including construction site and traffic safety.
- Operation and maintenance requirements for a variety of gasoline and diesel powered tools, vehicles, and light construction equipment.
- Traffic laws, practices, and procedures to meet accepted safety rules applicable to truck and equipment operation.
- Safe operation of a variety of hand and power tools.
- Operate a variety of power and hand tools including jackhammers, concrete saw, trowels, floats, rakes, shovels, and brooms.
- Operate a variety light gasoline powered equipment such as pickup trucks, vans, and automobiles.
- Operate equipment utilized in road maintenance and construction, including but not limited to, single and tandem-axle trucks with snow plows and sanders, water trucks, and tractors.
- Understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Operate and communicate on two-way radios.
- Accomplish the assigned tasks in a safe and timely manner and meet established performance standards and objectives.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and understand written documents, maps, blueprints, and materials as required for the performance of the job.
- Requires frequent use of both hands and manual dexterity to operate hand and power tools, vehicles, and equipment.
- Requires frequent pulling/pushing, reaching, bending/stooping, kneeling, squatting, and twisting to load, unload, and utilize tools, inspect construction/maintenance sites, perform maintenance, and negotiate around equipment. Requires ability to receive/exchange written and/or verbal instructions.
- Auditory requirements sufficient to hear signals and two-way radios.
- Requires ability to frequently lift and carry supplies and equipment up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift/carry supplies and equipment weighing over 70 pounds.
- Is regularly on-call for work related situations including snow removal and flood and wildfire control.
- Is occasionally required to work outside normal work hours in the performance of duties.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Requires ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions and to walk on and navigate all types of terrain.
- Incumbent experiences frequent exposure to all types of weather conditions, dust, concrete dust, hot asphalt, fumes, solvents, grease and oils.
- Incumbent is frequently exposed to excessive intermittent noise from traffic, power tools, machinery, and equipment.
- Frequently required to travel to other County office locations or work sites.