If you would like to start your career in utility construction, Anchor Construction Corporation will give you the training you need! The General Laborer works in varying aspects of the construction field. Works to ensure general safety, cleanliness, support, and material organization on various projects ranging from water, storm drains, and sewer lines to concrete, general site development, and bridge or infrastructure. Works on construction projects, usually working in utility capacity, by transferring from one task to another where demands require. Transportation will be provided to work sites from the Baltimore Yard location. Come join the Anchor Family!!
Anchor Construction Corporation offers a competitive salary, paid holidays, 401k retirement plan, health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, short term disability, accidental death & disability insurance, an employee assistance program, DC commuter benefits, and voluntary insurances such as long term disability, hospital indemnity, critical illness, accident coverage, and whole life insurance.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with OSHA, State regulations, and all safety policies and procedures.
- Complete Operator Qualifications (OQ) Certification Training provided by Anchor Construction Corporation
- Pass OQ Certification test after training is complete *Added Pay and Bonus upon Passing Test*
- Report any problems and/or safety hazards to your foreman or, in their absence the crew lead or Superintendent or Safety Officer
- Identify utility lines
- Take initiative in setting up and cleaning up the worksite, ensuring all tools and equipment are cleaned and properly stored
- Bolt, nail, align and move materials
- Signal operators of construction equipment to facilitate alignment
- Carry lumber, pipe, tools, and other types of construction materials
- Dig holes and trenches with hand tools
- Level dirt or materials to grade as the specification requires
- Assist with positioning, joining, aligning, and sealing pipe sections
- Mix and pour concrete, spread and compact asphalt compacts dirt using tools
- Assist with building of various structures and forms
- Assist with erecting and removing shoring of trenches
- Mop, brush, or spread paints or bituminous compounds over surfaces for protection
- Spray materials such as water, sand, vinyl pain through hoses to clean, coat, or seal surfaces
- Sweep and clean job site, yard, vehicles, equipment, or building
- Assist in the placement, moving, and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones, and other traffic control devices
- Grind, sand, and polish surfaces
- Measure and cut materials as required
- Dismantle forms, mount pipe hangers, and cut and attach insulating materials
- Work as a flagger for traffic control after certification
- Attend training and informational sessions as required
- Other duties as assigned
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities:
- May assist Foreman with assignments while on site
- May perform other duties as assigned by Dispatch, Superintendents, and/or Foremen
- High school diploma/GED preferred
- Ability to travel to Anchor's Baltimore Yard sites required
- Ability to speak and write in English required
- Ability to use basic tools required
- Basic understanding of construction principles and procedures required
- Ability to work overtime as needed required
- Comfort working in an outdoors high-stress environment with extreme weather fluctuations required
- Ability to work independently or as an active member of a team
- Ability to operate a manual transmission vehicle preferred
- Spanish fluency is a plus
Must be able to:
- physically stand, bend, squat and lift heavy objects
- dig ditches, pits, trenches, and foundations in preparation for job site construction
- walk on uneven ground
- stand for prolonged periods
- lift and carry weights varying up to 50 lbs and above with another team member.
Moderate to Extreme
Constant exposure to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise fumes, dust, etc.)
Exposer to the outdoor elements (cold, heat, rain, snow, etc.)
The noise level is loud
Anchor Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Anchor Construction Corporation is one of the Mid‐Atlantic Region's most respected and leading self-performing utility and infrastructure firms, delivering superior solutions for public agencies, utilities, and businesses east and west of the Chesapeake Bay (throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and Washington, D.C.). Anchor offers construction services in a variety of markets including bridges, dry and wet utilities, and green infrastructure. Anchor employs over 450 professionals.
The Anchor Way
Anchor creates partnerships that produce innovative, cost‐effective, and quality construction projects that exceed our customers' expectations in a safe environment.
Safety, quality, integrity, and teamwork are at the core of everything we do ‐ every shift, every day.