Anchor Construction Corp. has an immediate opening for a full-time Heavy Equipment Mechanic/ Diesel Mechanic at our Landover, MD location. Job responsibilities include repair and full maintenance of construction equipment, specifically heavy duty. This position may require some travel throughout Virginia, Maryland, and DC.
- Must have 5-8 years or more years of work-related experience with heavy truck repair and construction or utility field related equipment
- Must have specific experience with hydraulics, drive train, controls, D.O.T inspections, and electrical diagnostics
- Must have own hand tools
- Must have a valid driver's license, Class B CDL, and Medical card preferred
- Must be able to research repair procedures and parts, both in written form and on computer
- Must be able to make sound judgments based on available facts
- Must possess a professional demeanor
- Must be available to work overtime
Responsibilities and Duties
The essential duties and responsibilities of the position include, but not limited to:
- Will be working on anything from F450, F550 service trucks to 6 Peterbilt/Freightliner wheeler dump trucks, as well as backhoe's, excavators of all sizes, skid steers, from names such as Hitachi, John Deere, Cat, Bobcat, Komatsu, etc.
- Keeps vehicles and equipment in use by inspecting and testing, completing preventive maintenance such as, engine tune-ups, oil changes, tire rotation, and changes, replacing filters.
- Maintains vehicle/equipment functional condition by listening to operator complaints, conducting inspections, repairing major failures, repairing mechanical and electrical systems malfunctions, replacing parts and components.
- Complies with state vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety.
- Lubricates moving parts and drives repaired heavy equipment and trucks to verify conformance to specifications.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, maintaining supplies, performing preventive maintenance.
- Examine protective guards, loose bolts, and specified safety devices on heavy equipment and trucks and makes adjustments as necessary.
- Provides assistance to coworkers as needed.
- Complete proper paperwork
- Work with other departments and supervisors to achieve satisfaction.
- Work with shop manager to order and obtain parts from parts vendors
- Maintain clean work area and shop.
- Maintain neat and orderly toolbox, both personal and the company.
- Duties may include the safe operation of a motor vehicle
- Duties may include minor building maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must perform above duties according to current safety standards and in accordance with departmental and company policies and procedures.
- Must be able to maintain a high standard of quantity and quality of work.
- Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to work from service orders, verbal instructions, or other directive materials.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
Qualifications and Skills
Must also be able to work in a team environment as well as work independently, be self-motivated, and possess basic computer skills. Because this is a stand-alone position, you must be strong structured, disciplined, and have strong remote communication skills with the Shop Manager.
Knowledge of: Heavy equipment maintenance, diagnostics, and repair techniques sufficient to perform installation, repair, and maintenance on light, medium, and heavy equipment. Heavy equipment repair tools and rebuilding equipment sufficient to make correct and safe use of these in the repair, modification, and maintenance of equipment. Metal forging, forming, and tempering sufficient to repair equipment to working order. Advanced knowledge of hydraulic systems strongly preferred.
Ability to: Detect, diagnose, and repair mechanical and electrical defects sufficient to perform preventive maintenance on equipment. Use electronic, computerized, and/or precision measuring instruments sufficient to diagnose malfunctions in electrical systems and other essential systems in order to repair and maintain equipment. Understand and follow oral and written instructions sufficient to carry out repair-orders and understand maintenance records and equipment specifications. Keep repair records sufficient to log, track, and retrieve repair and maintenance histories on equipment.
Anchor Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Anchor Construction Corporation is one of the Mid-Atlantic Region's most respected and leading self-performing utility and infrastructure firms, delivering superior solutions for public agencies, utilities, and businesses east and west of the Chesapeake Bay (throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and Washington, D.C.). Anchor offers construction services in a variety of markets including bridges, dry and wet utilities, and green infrastructure. Anchor employs over 450 professionals.
The Anchor Way
Anchor creates partnerships that produce innovative, cost-effective, and quality construction projects that exceed our customers' expectations in a safe environment.
Safety, quality, integrity, and teamwork are at the core of everything we do - every shift, every day.