- 15-Apr-2021 to 21-Jul-2021 (PST)
- Seattle, WA, USA
In the College and Career Coach (CACC) position, the CSF AmeriCorps member works with middle school staff to provide college readiness programming to designated Washington State school districts. The CACC partners with schools to implement college readiness curriculum, college bound sign ups, academic enrichment activities, mentorship and social skills/leadership development. The member's efforts will contribute toward the development and growth of the school's college-going culture and strengthen students' college aspirations for low-income, underserved students.
Positions are available in the following school district:
- Auburn School District
- Highline School District
- Kent School District
- Seattle School District
- Spokane School District
- Tacoma School District
- Yakima School District
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work directly with middle school students by developing and delivering college and career readiness curriculum and support services to 8th grade middle school students in one of CSF's partner schools to strengthen students' college aspirations. Administer pre and post assessments to students receiving the college and career readiness curriculum to assess the programs' efficacy.
- Support parent/guardian and/or school staff efforts to build and strengthen the school's college-going culture to provide the best opportunity for students to be college ready.
- Participate in mandatory statewide member development meetings to receive ongoing training and career development to prepare for life after AmeriCorps.
- Participate in regional CSF college and career readiness events.
- Collaborate on activities with school staff, community partners, out-of-school time providers and CSF staff to keep youth and families engaged in college readiness programming.
- Coordinate and participate in approved community service activities for National Days of Service and other CSF AmeriCorps special events.
- Complete required and timely reporting and administrative duties as assigned.
- Adhere to the expectations and conditions as outlined by the CSF AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement.
- Promote AmeriCorps program and civic engagement.
- Occasional travel and visits to the College Success Foundation's home office in Bellevue as well as CSF's regional office are required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to commit to a term of service for a minimum of 1700 hours of service.
- Ability to work the standard hours of service are Monday through Friday, 8 hours a day (40 hours per week) with a minimum 30 minute lunch break in the service day; this break does not count as service time. Specific hours will be based on the individual needs of the individual assigned school and CSF AmeriCorps.
- Ability to work weekends and weekdays, various hours based upon individual middle school hours, planned events, or afterschool programs.
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills. Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Ability to identify and solve problems.
- Skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- A proven "self-starter" with the ability to work independently and comply with all standards of the supervision personnel and related programs and services of the employer.
- An established commitment to work collaboratively and harmoniously with CSF staff, colleagues, community resource agencies, school district personnel and stakeholders.
- A commitment to diversity and equal opportunity.
- Knowledge of college readiness, awareness and planning.
- Understanding of the communities at the middle school service delivery sites and recent effective involvement with students in those schools and communities.
- Ability to work flexible hours to include out of school time activities with community partners, pending prior approval from supervisor. May include nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to be upbeat, positive, outgoing, personable and able to relate well with diverse populations and age groups, with particular emphasis on working with young people, ages 12 – 14.
- Ability to travel to all meetings outside the assigned service site.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- College degree (Bachelor's or Associate's degree) required. Bachelor's preferred in education, sociology, psychology, social work, public service or a related field.
- Clearance with required CNCS and CSF background checks (Washington State Patrol criminal registry, FBI fingerprint check, National Sex Offender Registry background check, drug test).
While performing the duties of service, the Member is regularly required to; reach with hands and arms and talk and hear. The Member is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this service include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by a member to successfully perform the essential functions of this service successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Service is generally conducted in a school and classroom. May require physical effort associated with using the computer to access information, or occasional standing and lifting needed to carry out everyday activities.
Members must be able to handle stress that is involved in meeting strenuous deadlines, and be flexible and able to interact with CSF employees and school staff at all levels.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those a member encounters while performing the essential functions of this service. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CONDITION OF POSITION:
The position may change based upon needs of the program and/or organization needs and available funding. College Success Foundation maintains a drug free environment. Members of College Success Foundation and its subsidiaries must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural and diverse work environment.