Alto Neuroscience is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company that integrates the biology of the patient into drug development to improve the lives of people with mental health conditions. Currently, there is no objective way to diagnose psychiatric illness, nor to identify which treatment is best for an individual patient. Treatment selection is presently done by trial-and-error as there are no tests that can inform these decisions. Through our AI-enabled biomarker platform, we combine rich sources of information on patients' brain activity and behavior to rapidly develop highly-effective medicines for targeted populations. We aim to replace today's trial-and-error clinical approach by aligning the right Alto drug with the right patient, redefining psychiatry at a time when the world needs it most. Come join us on our mission to re-imagine and re-engineer the treatment of mental illnesses.
The laboratory scientist will work with genetic Data Scientists at Alto to perform pilot experiments and generate genomics data. This is an ideal position for graduate students or postdoctoral fellows in the Chicago area looking to transition to industry and gain experience working at a startup.
The role of the laboratory scientist involves the following:
- Generate wet lab genomics data and perform experiments including cell culture, nucleic acid extractions, and library preparation for genomics technologies (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, etc).
- Carefully follow laboratory procedures and cell culture best practices.
- Conduct drug dosing and brain dissection in mice.
- Collaborate with genetic Data Scientists to develop experimental study designs.
- Execute experimental study plans and document steps in data collection process.
- Produce data quality control reports.
- Master's Degree in Biology, Genetics, or related field. Wet lab PhD candidates and post-docs looking to gain experience at a biotech startup are highly encouraged to apply.
- Deep experience with mammalian cell culture. Experience working with neural cell culture and/or stem cells is a plus.
- Experience working with rodent models and has obtained relevant certifications.
- Experience with RNA extraction, QC, and library preparation. Experience with extraction and preparation for other genomic technologies (ATAC-seq, Hi-C, BS-seq, DNA-seq, etc.) a plus.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills. Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Suite (especially Office, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google Workspace. Experience with the Terminal command line, R, or Python is a plus but not required.