- 06-Jan-2021 to 01-Feb-2021 (EST)
- AIRBUS U.S. Space & Defense, Inc.
- Arlington, VA, USA
- $140K - $160K (depending on experience)
- Full Time
Airbus is an international pioneer in the aerospace industry. We are a leader in designing, manufacturing and delivering aerospace products, services and solutions to customers on a global scale. We aim for a better-connected, safer and more prosperous world.
A commercial aircraft manufacturer, with Space and Defense as well as Helicopters Divisions, Airbus is the largest aeronautics and space company in Europe and a worldwide leader.
Airbus has built on its strong European heritage to become truly international with roughly 180 locations and 12,000 direct suppliers globally. The company has aircraft and helicopter final assembly lines across Asia, Europe and the Americas, and has achieved a more than sixfold order book increase since 2000.
Position Summary: The Sr. Electrical Engineering Manager will be responsible for leading a team responsible for electrical satellite design activities and ensuring those designs can be translated into specifications for manufacturing.
- Lead a team to design AirbusUS satellites, including modifications to the heritage ARROW platform, to meet customer requirements:
- Support the development of system level requirements and requirement flow-down to the various disciplines, subsystems, and components - in all phases of the systems development lifecycle with particular emphasis on Design for Cost (DFC)/Design for Manufacturability (DFM)/Design for Test (DFT) approaches
- Direct experience qualifying and deploying radiation harden satellite electrical systems and sub-systems
- Experience with FPGA design architectures and requirements
- Experience with embedded computer processing architectures and hardware
- Mapping customer specifications to system design requirements, system performance and identify risks or opportunities
- Flow electrical system level requirements down to detailed digital, power, software, optical and RF specifications
- Serve as the main technical interface for various electrical engineering related projects
- Responsible for providing an accurate assessment of the scope of work for projects and assessments of program progress.
- Understand and address cost, schedule and performance impacts and provide trade-off summaries for management personnel
- Participate in cross-functional planning, coordination, and task execution situations involving the full spectrum of engineering and integration activities
- Support the ARROW and other AirbusUS satellite development roadmaps for planned product improvement spirals to meet rising demand of diverse Intelligence and Defense missions for the US Government. This includes design adjustments, schedule, and cost targets aligned for future business opportunities
- Participate in the ARROW product customization process
Additional Responsibilities: 10%
Other duties as assigned
Qualified Experience / Skills / Training:
Required: Bachelor's degree in STEM (Science, Technical, Engineering, Math) or related scientific areas or combination of education and experience.
Preferred: Master's degree in STEM (Science, Technical, Engineering, Math) or related scientific areas or combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience required in electrical engineering for satellite systems with a Bachelor's degree, or 12 years of experience with a Master's degree
- Proven track-record of working with satellite electrical systems, starting from conceptual designs and tradeoffs through detailed design, development, manufacture, integration, and test
- Design for Manufacturing (DFM)/Design for Test (DFT) experience highly desirable
Knowledge, Skills, Demonstrated Capabilities:
- Ability to lead a small team of electrical engineers involved in multiple projects
- Familiarity with elements of space mission architectures extending beyond the satellite platform including launch, flight operations, mission CONOPS, user interfaces, etc
- Proficiency with Electrical Engineering tools
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Be team-minded and ready to work in a multi-functional and multi-cultural, fast-moving and complex/technical environment
- Flexible attitude and strong initiative
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results
Communication Skills (Spoken, Written, Influencing, Proficiency in Other Languages):
- Excellent listening, comprehension & interpersonal skills as responsible for daily communication via email and phone calls
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication (verbal/writing), and presentation skills
- Primary location is either Rosslyn, VA or Merritt Island, FL
- If VA based, infrequent travel to Merritt Island, FL to work alongside OneWeb Satellites engineering staff
- If FL based, infrequent travel to DC area to coordinate with VA-based team and present to various customers and mission partners
- Infrequent international travel to collaborate with European Airbus counterparts
- Possibility for on-site support during launch campaigns
- US citizenship is required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Government security clearance
- Active DoD security clearance at Secret or above highly desirable.
Direct Reports: Exempt: 2
Equal Opportunity: Airbus is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Airbus is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
As a leader in our field, Airbus provides relocation assistance for qualified positions and a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
As a matter of policy, Airbus does not sponsor visas for US positions unless specified. Only applicants with current work authorization will be considered.
Airbus does not offer tenured or guaranteed employment. Employment with Airbus is at will, meaning either the company or the employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.