Job Title: Program Aid and Driver
Reports to: Youth and Leisure Supervisor
Job Class: Seasonal, Non-exempt
Work Hours: School Year (19 per week); Seasonal (40 per week)
Compensation: $11 an hour
Reporting to the Youth & Leisure Supervisor, The Program Aide and Driver engages directly with the children in the Before and After School Care, Winter Camp, Spring Camp, and Summer Day Camp Programs to help facilitate activities within the program. In addition, candidates over 21 will assist in driving a 14-passenger bus to transport the children as needed.
Work Hours: The Program Aide schedule is less than 19 hours a week Monday through Friday during the Before and After School Care program season. During the summer, the Program Aide typically works maximum of 40 hours a week (Mid-June Mid August), maximum of 1,000 hours annually.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads and/or teaches various activities within the program.
- Drives child participants to and from field trips/aquatic trips.
- Utilizes problem solving abilities to mitigate issues as they arise with parents or children.
- Works closely with parents to promote an understanding of growth and development of their child/children.
- Inspects and recommends program equipment repairs and improvements.
- Monitor's status, condition, and physical location of programs.
- Assists in interpreting resident needs and delivering programs and services to meet those needs.
- Promotes and encourages participation in the program.
- Helps with planning, developing, and implementing the program.
- Assists with the planning of program special events.
- Completes basic paperwork in a timely and orderly fashion for the program.
- Participates in staff training and workshops.
- Assists with emergency procedures and building evacuation.
- Enforces all rules set forth by park district, Recreation Supervisor and Program Coordinator/Counselor.
- Supervises children at all times.
- Helps Prepare and follow all lesson plans.
- Prepares and submits weekly lesson plans by due date.
- Attends all field trips.
- Performs other duties and functions as directed.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to all policies and procedures outlined in the Policy and Procedure Manual, Personnel Policy Manual, and Safety Manual.
- Cleans up all areas once program is completed.
- Reports any problems or concerns to the Recreation Supervisor.
- Promotes a positive and friendly work environment.
- Serves on various district committees.
- Prior experience working with and developing programs/activities with children, ages K - 8th Grade. Preference given to individuals that have attained or are pursuing a degree in Education, Recreation or related field.
- Ability to obtain CPR/AED/First Aid certification upon hire.
- Valid State of Illinois driver's license required.
- Must successfully pass state Driver's Abstract Review and Criminal background screening.
- Ability to cooperate with and interpret Park District philosophies in relation to governmental, public and private groups or agencies, and to the general public.
- Ability to work harmoniously with fellow employees, patrons, community groups and other units of local government.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere, promoting positive work relations with both internal and external customers.
- Proficiency to read and write in English, and organize effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively within various settings, from one-on-one to group configurations.
- Capacity to maintain self-control and composure in difficult situations.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work area is both indoors, in a smoke-free environment with controlled temperature and fluorescent lighting and outdoors at all park district locations.
- Frequent exposure to natural and potentially extreme weather conditions while supervising employees or attending to job related activities.
- Exposure to noise distractions from employees, patrons or equipment operation.
- Lifting up to 25 pounds, occasional climbing, sitting stooping, kneeling, reaching. Frequent walking, standing, driving.