Job Class: Regular Part Time, up to 19 per hours per week.
Compensation: $11/$20 an hour depending on program
Work Hours: M-TH 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm (opportunity for additional private lesson hours)
Under the direction and supervision of the Aquatics and Member Services Supervisor, the Swim Instructor teaches swim lessons in accordance with the Park District's instructional swimming program for children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts swim lessons by providing instruction for proper swim technique, and correcting improper swim technique.
- Tracks students' ability level and conducts testing to move to next level.
- Maintains organization of swim lesson equipment.
- Sets up and puts away all swim equipment before and after program.
- Adheres to and promotes an environment of safety by following all safety regulations and guidelines of the Park District.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 16 years of age. Training will be provided.
- Pediatric Plus CPR, AED, and First Aid certified. (Park District provided upon hire).
- Enjoys working with children of all ages in pool environment.
- Responsible, energetic, and patient.
- Lifeguard certified.
- Ability to read and understand materials such as manuals, policies, and other materials printed in English.
- Ability to use good safety awareness and judgment.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere and work closely with co-workers and the general public, while promoting the Park District's mission statement, vision, and core values.
- Ability to maintain self-control and composure in difficult situations.
- Ability to receive constructive criticism and/or supervision.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to new situations.
- Possess enthusiasm and drive with a desire to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Ability to resolve differences and problems that arise with customers and staff.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Work is conducted indoors in heated, chlorinated pool environment.
- Work may require bending, twisting, crouching, stooping, kneeling, lifting, and navigating pool deck.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.