- Abingdon, VA, USA
- 43000-54000 per year
- Full Time
Under the general supervision of the Senior Town Planner the incumbent performs technical and professional planning and zoning duties in connection with the Town Code, as well as official conditions imposed by the Town Council, Planning Commission, and Board of Zoning Appeals. The employee reviews and inspects use permit conditions and plans of development; reviews building permits; interprets zoning codes, provides information to citizens, investigates violations, prepares reports for action in matters pertaining to zoning, historic preservation, planning, and other duties as assigned. The work calls for knowledge of the Town Code, land use regulations, and basic engineering principles. The work is performed with latitude for limited technical determination and independent planning of work details.
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in planning, geography, public administration, or related field
- Knowledge of modern principles and practices of urban planning
- Knowledge of basic engineering and construction practices
- Ability to work effectively with developers, contractors, and the general public
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications
- Ability to present concise oral and written reports
- Ability to walk long distances, climb, bend, and work under adverse temperatures and weather conditions
This position will remain open until filled.
The Town of Abingdon offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical insurance, dental insurance, paid annual leave, paid holidays, and Virginia State Retirement to Full-Time employees.
The Town of Abingdon is an equal opportunity employer.